PERSONAL SAFETY TRAINING
Aim of the Personal Safety program
The Personal Safety for primary school children is a comprehensive approach to providing children with practical empowerment and assertiveness skills in order to minimise their risk to abuse. It teaches children about their own feelings relating to safety and how to build safety networks. Most importantly it educates children about how to tell someone if anyone is harming them. This educational and empowering program is especially effective when teaching children and young people how to deal with abuse, bullying, and keeping safe. The sessions are tailored to the needs and age of the group.
The Personal Safety program is delivered in a 'train the trainer' approach. Teachers attend a half day workshop whereby they will learn how to deliver the Personal Safety program to their students. The training empowers teachers to assist children in identifying unsafe situations and feelings, and know how to seek assistance from trusted adults.
As part of the program, 2 hour 'Wise Parent' sessions are also conducted with parents and carers to ensure they understand the program and can reinforce the message at home that are being delivered to children at school.
- Child rights
- Feelings and safety
- Early warning signs
- Body ownership
- Safe and unsafe touch
- Secrets vs surprises
- Online safety
- How to build resilience and assertiveness in children .
- Helping children to identify feelings and situations of risk.
- Providing children with strategies on how to manage potentially harmful situations.
- Assisting children to develop a 'safety network'.
- Rights and corresponding responsibilities in relation to disclosures and mandatory reporting requirements.
- Seeking help and providing support.
- Identify what is right and wrong behaviour, and what to do if they have concerns.
- Respond safely to feelings and people who make them feel uncomfortable.
- Develop good observation and problem solving skills to stay safe.
- Be strong and confident in the knowledge that they have the right to be safe at all times.
- Have the resources and networks to call on if they have concerns or are in danger.
- How to teach children personal safety strategies which prevent and reduce the risks of child abuse and violence.
- Know how to talk to children about personal safety and healthy sexual development.
- Understand the process of 'grooming' and the sex offender cycle.
- Know the laws and issues related to child protection.
Who should attend?
This training is essential for teachers/schools. It can be delivered on-site or off-site and can be tailored to meet individual needs.
For more information or to find out how Child Wise can run any of our sessions in-house at your organisation, email our Training team or call the office on 03 9826 6344
To find out when our next Personal Safety public training will be held, please visit our Upcoming Training page
^Book training by December 15, 2017, to be delivered by 31 March 2018 for a 25% discount per ticket. Does not apply to Policy work.