Child Wise has extensive experience in providing counselling
and support services for those impacted by childhood abuse. The Starting Point Helpline is staffed by counsellors that
understand the impact of childhood abuse and the many powerful reasons why
survivors remain silent.
Our counsellors recognise that disclosing abuse that
occurred as a child is often a life-long process.
Starting Point Helpline can assist you if:
- You are a survivor who has experienced abuse within an organisation or through out-of-home care.
- You need information or support to access the Royal Commission; to tell your story, or to tell other’s stories.
- You want to share your knowledge of abuse that occurred within organisational or institutional settings.
- You need additional support and counselling after giving evidence to the Royal Commission.
It requires remarkable courage to speak out and we are here
to help. We will talk with you about your situation, help you to decide what support you want, and then refer you to the right people to provide you with
ongoing support in a location that suits you.
Some people have been far more vulnerable to child abuse than others:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are vastly over represented in child abuse statistics and in the child protection system.
- People with a disability are far more likely to have been sexually abused than other children.
- Children from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds have also been exposed to higher levels of abuse.
As part of our response to the Royal Commission, we are encouraging Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with a disability (or their carers), and those from a CALD background who have suffered sexual abuse within organisations or institutions to call the Starting Point Helpline so that they too can have a voice.
The Starting Point Helpline also provides supports for family, friends, professionals and staff of institutions where abuse occurred. We encourage these individuals to also speak up through the Starting Point service.
You can contact our toll-free Starting Point Helpline from Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm AEST:
Phone: 1800 99 10 99