"I'm a Teacher, You're a Teacher" Conference
A child-led conference for teachers about empowerment and participation.
Teachers, take a seat and let students take the lead. We guarantee, you have never been to a conference like this before.
A unique, Australian-first conference delivered entirely by children from House of Muchness who will demonstrate tools and strategies for participation and empowerment in action that you can take away and implement in your school. Gain real insight and hear children’s ideas to empower them and promote participation.
Learn how you can hear more effectively from the children that you teach and empower them to speak up, by using tried and tested strategies and tools to encourage participation and gain real insight into their experience of safety.
Children can play an important role in helping organisations to create a safe environment and communicate key safety messages to them. Inviting children into the conversation is essential – they are the only ones who can say what safety means, looks like and feels to them.
Children and young people understand and experience safety differently from adults.
Promoting children’s participation will provide valuable information about their experience at your organisation. Most importantly, when children have opportunities to participate and feel their contributions are valued, they are more likely to speak up when harmed or feeling unsafe. (CCYP)
- To unpack the Victorian Child Safe Standards through the eyes of children and ensure their voices are heard in the daily implementation of the Standards.
- To equip teachers with the tools to weave the empowerment and participation of children throughout their school experience and enhance relationships and wellbeing.
- To empower children to champion the change and be active agents in their own safety.
All workshops are facilitated by children and are highly participatory, and will cover the following topics:
- How to create safe and secure spaces.
- Codes of conduct are for everyone: how to engage children in developing a code of conduct.
- Dynamic ways to measure and capture/document children’s experiences at school.
- Building communication skills in children to help keep them safe.
Who should attend?
This conference is recommended for teachers that work in the Victorian school system.
The cost for the conference, including catering is $330 (GST included).
No refund will be provided for cancellations within 7 days prior to the conference.
Transport options available
Collins Square is located directly opposite tram stop D15-Batmans Hill Drive / Collins Street and there are additional tram stops on Flinders Street.
Collins Square is just 200 metres from Southern Cross Station where you can access up to 15 different train lines and connections to all V/Line services.
The closest car parks are:
- Wilson Parking, 700 Collins Street
- Secure Parking, 750 Collins Street
- Green Co Parking, World Trade Centre, 18 - 38 Siddeley Street
Muchness is your you-ness, your oomph, your grit and substance, your core character, your spark, your bestness, the fullest version of you.
House of Muchness is a centre for creativity with young people. Workshops and projects for 5 to 17-year-olds happen within an inclusive culture of creative risk-taking and artistic experimentation. Arts processes are used to arrive at new material which reveals the contemporary condition of young people and their complex relationship with the world. At House of Muchness, we have created a third space. There is home, there is school, there is HOM. Here we champion the village, the community, the tribe. This is an environment where young people can belong to a collective and build social relatedness, artistic expression and find their creative kin.
I'm a Teacher, You're a Teacher Conference - 6 Aug 2020