Dialog Box

Are you a child or young person with something to say?

At Child Wise we believe that children and young people are experts in their own lives and only you know what it’s like to be a child or young person today.

We truly believe that nothing that is about you, should be done without you!

Know that you have a right to feel and be safe wherever you are.

Get involved

We work to create opportunities for your voice to be heard and we are here to listen. If you are interested in participating in activities that bring young people together and sharing your thoughts and opinions with us (either in a group or individually), please send us an email at info@childwise.org.au and let us know.

We would also love to hear your ideas about some of the ways we can encourage young people to participate and share their views.

What are we currently doing

Child Wise Youth Advisory Group

Child Wise are excited to announce that we’re kicking off a Youth Advisory Group and we would love to hear from young people!

If you are 16-22, live in Australia and want to help make your community a safer place for children and young people, you are invited to apply for the role of a Child Wise young person advisor – new paid positions. We are looking for a diverse range of young people from all backgrounds who are open to working as a team to help Child Wise continuously improve its work to make sure children and young people across Australia and the world are safe.  This will involve being a part of projects, sharing your ideas, challenging us if you feel we could do better, and learning heaps of new things that we hope will help you are on your own career pathway.

For more information, please click here.

Applications close 12 November.

Click here to download and share a poster with your networks. 

Sharing your experiences working as a young person 

We can’t do what we do without your input and would love to hear more about what it is like to work as a young person – the good, the bad, the ugly and the great. If you would like to share your story, please click here and register your interest.

What else can I do?

Organisations where children and young people spend their time e.g. schools, sporting clubs, counselling services, out of home care services, etc have an obligation to keep you safe, make you feel welcome and respected. If you feel like some of these things are missing, let the organisation you’d like to see:

  • A process to make it easy for children and young people to make a complaint and give feedback
  • Ways to be involved in decisions that affect you
  • More information about the rights of children and young people in the organisation
  • A document that shows children and young people what behaviour they can expect from the adults around them
  • An easy-to-read child safety and wellbeing policy
  • Ways for all children and young people to be included

How do I make a complaint?

You have a right to make a complaint if you are unhappy about the way you are being treated at your workplace, at your school, after school activity, or anywhere else where you live, work and play. All of these places should provide you with ways to make a complaint or raise a concern if you have any.

Here are our top 5 tips for making a complaint:

  • Get support – ask a friend, parent or trusted adult to help you with your complaint
  • Find out what the process is – email, phone call, speak to someone directly
  • Plan what you want to say and keep notes
  • Try and stay calm when explaining your concerns and ask what will happen next. Three deep breaths before you start is a great way to calm your nerves.
  • Follow up to see what is happening

If you haven’t been able to make a complaint or if you think your complaint was not taken seriously, you can contact:

  • FairWork if your complaint is about your workplace.
  • The Ombudsman in each state and territory if your complaint is about government service delivery. Click on the links below for more information about how to make a complaint and what you can complain about to the Ombudsman in your state or territory:

  • The Children’s Commissioners and Guardians in your state or territory if your complaint is about child protection and education. Click on the links below for more information depending on where you live:

If you need help

If you feel unsafe or in danger, please call the Police on 000.

Kids Helpline

If you feel unsafe, are worried about yourself, friend or family member or would like to speak to someone about your mental health or any other issues, please reach out to the Kids Helpline who have information on a range of topics for people aged 5 – 25.

Kids Helpline qualified counsellors are available 24/7 (for free) via WebChat, email or phone: 1800 55 1800.


Headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation. They aim to give support and help young people with mental health, physical health, alcohol and other drug services, and work and study support. Go to www.headspace.org.au or call (03) 9027 0100.


Lifeline is a crisis line open 24hrs a day and staffed by confidential counsellors. Go to www.lifeline.org.au or call 13 11 14.

The Australian Human Rights Commission

The Human Rights Commission investigates complaints of discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment and bullying. 

Go to www.humanrights.gov.au or call 1300 656 419.


If you have experienced sexual assault or sexual harassment and feel that you would like to speak to someone for support or information, 1800RESPECT can provide counselling 24-hours a day. Go to www.1800respect.org.au or call 1800 737 732.

Blue Knot Foundation

If you have experienced childhood trauma, you can speak with a Blue Knot Helpline trauma counsellor including for support and applications around national redress.

Go to www.blueknot.org.au, call 1300 657 380 (Monday – Sunday, between 9am - 5pm AEST) or email helpline@blueknot.org.au.

Report child abuse or neglect

If you need to report an incident of child abuse or neglect, please click here and scroll to the bottom of the Reporting Abuse and Neglect: State and Territory Departments Responsible for Protecting Children page.

If you need other help like youth services, sexual harassment and legal help, please click here for more information. 

Advocate for your rights 

Tell us what we should do! At Child Wise, we work with organisations that impact young people’s lives, so part of our job is to advocate for your rights and wellbeing. Tell us what’s worked really well and what hasn’t, what’s missing, and we will make sure your messages are heard loud and clear.

Resources for young people